Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stories

I have struggled with how much story to tell. There is so much. Wendell Berry says: "Telling a story is like reaching into a granary of wheat and drawing out a handful. There is always more to tell than can be told." I can never tell a story as good as Steve or Victoria or Esther... but I have a story. Let's glory in the story of God working in this place.

It starts like this: "I have made plans enough, but I see now that I have never lived by a plan. Any more than if I had been a bystander watching me live my life, I don't feel that I ever have been quite sure what was going on. Nearly everything that has happened to me has happened by surprise. All the important things have happened by surprise. And whatever has been happening usually has already happened before I have had time to expect it. The world doesn't stop because you are in love or in mourning or in need of time to think. And so when I have thought I was in my story or in charge of it, I really have been only on the edge of it, carried along. Is this because we are in an eternal story...?"

As always, the words of someone else (Wendell Berry again) tell my story in a way that I cannot. They speak to my heart - they speak from my heart.

The story will continue...

1 comment:

Heidi Renee said...

i <3 wendell berry...

looking forward to hearing yours too.