Friday, April 1, 2011

Laundry Detergent Results

For anyone who is curious, in my last post I let you in on my little experiment of making my own laundry detergent. I was cautiously optimistic. For my first test run I decided to do a load of dog blankets. We have two Labrador retrievers who can get pretty grimy after a day of playing in the creek or running the trails with Steve. I have to admit I wasn't expecting much. But, to my surprise, the two rugs and two blankets were clean! Not just clean, REALLY clean. They smelled amazing. So, for the next test, we moved on to a load of Isaac's clothes. His clothes, being a sixth grade boy, were only slightly less dirty. They also came out fresh and clean. We have now done enough loads that I am a fan. Chalk this up as a success. And it was kinda fun, too.

My only concern is that the detergent was a little clumpy. But I am afraid that I did not stir the contents of my bucket long enough before letting it set/gel. I will try to remedy this with my next batch - which, after making four whole gallons of detergent, may come some time in the middle of next winter!!

Overall, I consider this a success and I recommend it to anyone!

No comments: