Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Birthday to Joh

This is my friend Johanna.  She is far, far away today and it is her birthday...

How do you celebrate one so far away?  With just the right poem or quote or thought or sentiment.  These are for you, dear friend.

Happy Birthday!!!
  

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth. ~Robert Southey (whoever he is!!)

                                             To me, fair Friend, you never can be old,
                                             For as you were when first your eye I eyed
                                             Such seems your beauty still...    ~Shakespeare


Promise me you'll always remember:  You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.  ~Christopher Robin to Pooh 


 


So Many Gifts by Hafiz
There are so many gifts
still unopened from your birthday,
There are so many hand-crafted presents
That have been sent to you by God.

The Beloved does not mind repeating,
"Everything I have is also yours."


Happy birthday my friend.  I am so proud of you.  You are brave and courageous, yet dependent on God.   You are strong, but still vulnerable.  You are far away, but still so very close to my heart.  I have enjoyed watching you grow more and more into a woman after God's own heart.  I hope that you have a beautiful birthday and that you feel celebrated.  You are loved!

*****

One final note - this poem always makes me smile... I remember we were having tea at the London Tea Room.  It was my very first Hafiz poem that you introduced me to.  You read it and then giggled.  Very appropriate.  Enjoy:

Two Giant Fat People
God
And I have become
Like two giant fat people
Living in a 
Tiny boat.
We
Keep
Bumping into each other and
Laughing.


 


 

No comments: