Saturday, May 7, 2016

Thoughts for Mother's Day

I am a mother.  Some of my friends are not.  I can still hug my momma.  Some of my friends cannot. Some of my friends don't even want to hug their mommas.  Mother's Day is such a hard day.  I find it even more difficult in the church.  The capitalistic, American church has developed a devastating value system for women that plays out on this holiday.  The church says:  Married woman, worthy.  Single woman, less worthy.  Wife with kids, the most worthy.  Wife with no kiddos, failure.  What a calamitous thing to do to each other!!   Why would I be seen as more godly, more blessed, more valued, more anything just because of what has been given to me?  How did my value get determined based on things that I had NOTHING to do with acquiring?  ALL women are a reflection of our heavenly Father.  We reflect an aspect of Him that could not be reflected in men or even in one group of women.  We are daughters of the King.  We are loved and valued and cherished by God.  Why do we stand by as shame and humiliation and disgrace are placed on other women.  Please, oh please, my Trailhead women and other fellow followers of Christ, let us love each other well today.  Let us SEE each other and place the highest value on each one of us - married, single, mother, daughter, divorced, widowed, young, old, black, white, wealthy and poor.  Let us choose our words carefully (maybe you even need to write down ideas for greeting others before you leave the house!).  We will all stand before Jesus Christ one day equal in every way.  We have been redeemed.  We have been washed in the blood of Jesus our Savior - the one who paid a great price for us.  See each other in that light.

No comments: