Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Psalm 23 In The Time of Covid19

Surely this is one of the most famous portions of Scripture.  I remember learning it as a child.  And for that reason I believe that I sort of wrote it off for so many years.  But over the past ten years this psalm has become a constant hum in the back of my brain.  It is always there.  It is always providing comfort.  It is always available to "call to mind" so that I can have hope (Read Lam. 3:16-26, noting verse 21).

All of the sheep herding images and so beautiful to us.  We love the idea of lacking nothing.  Lying down in green pastures!  I am no shepherd but I am pretty sure sheep only lie down when they trust that they are safe.  And sheep need still waters - fast moving currents are dangerous.

Abruptly the image changes - I am being lead in paths of righteousness.  I am walking in threatening places but I have no fear.  I trust the Shepherd. He is with me.  His direction and correction are a comfort to me.  They aid in my awareness that I am safe.

My perspective on verse 5 changed several years ago.  This passage always brought to mind images of eating at a great big Southern table filled with my favorite foods on fine china with with the most beautiful table cloth and hydrangeas everywhere.  My enemies were so far away I didn't notice them.  They could see me but I paid no attention to them.  I have very few enemies.  However, one day I was at my favorite restaurant in the world, eating my favorite food in the world (mutton and burgoo is you must know!) and in walked one of my only enemies.  Someone who did not want my good.  And INSTANTLY this verse rushed to the forefront of my brain.  THIS is what it means.  I am eating in the very presence of my enemies.  He is not far away.  He is right beside me.  He can see me.  He knows what I am eating.  He can stare.  BUT God (don't you love those two words when they are together?) has set this banquet table.  He is here.  He has set me apart (anointed my head with oil). My cup is overflowing with blessing.  I have nothing to fear.  Strangely, I am not afraid.  (Definitely unsettled, mind you, but not afraid.)

This is what Psalm 23 is all about.  Surely God's goodness and his mercy are mine.  All the days of my life.  God is mine.  I am his.  I will dwell in his steadfast love and faithfulness in His house forever.

How beautiful to think on this psalm in this crazy time of COVID19.  We are being told that we must assume it is everywhere.  We are exposed.  Maybe for you that feels like the valley of the shadow of death or it feels like that banquet table with the enemy very near.  Either way - God is with us.  He is not far away.  He leads us and protects us.  May we suffer?  Yes.  But our heads are anointed - we are set apart to and for Him.  Psalm 4:3 - But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for Himself.  We cannot make ourselves Godly - He freely give us godliness and righteousness in the gift of Jesus.  2 Corinthians 5:21:  For our sake He (God) made Him (Jesus) who knew no sin to be sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God.

And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord FOREVER. 

No comments: